Have you ever wondered what things looked like in the middle ages? Well, you`ve been given the opportunity to experience it in Bruges.
What`s the Historium?
It`s an attraction where through the use of film, music and special effects your senses are stimulated and you`re carried away into the magic of the middle ages.
Every 4,5 minutes a 35 minutes experience starts. With an audio guide (which is offered in 9 languages) and headphones, you`re sent on your way throughout 7 rooms. You`ll return back to 1435, the year Jan van Eyck paints the Madonna with Canon Joris Van der Paele.
You`re drawn into a love story between Jacob, the apprentice of Van Eyck and Anna, the model for the painting of the Madonna. In a clever way by triggering all your senses you`ll feel a part of the story. For example when you`re walking through a bathhouse a fine fragrance of soap welcomes you.
Bonus: The second floor has a terrace with a panoramic view over the market square!
I would say next time you`re in Bruges pay a visit to the Historium, I know I enjoyed the experience. If you`re not that into history, but you are into the Belgian beers, then there`s something for you too. Access to Duvelorium (on the first floor) is free and you can have a drink either warm inside in the Winter or on their terrace in the Summer while overlooking the market.
- Tourist information is located in the building.
- There are lockers where you can store your luggage. Very convenient when you`ve already checked out of your hotel. The bus stops right in front of the building to take you to the station afterwards.
- There are public toilets (fee: 0,50 euros) and an ATM machine.
- Opening Hours: Open daily (except 1 January and 25 December) from 10 am till 6 pm. Every Thursday open till 9 pm. Ticket sale ends an hour before closing.
- Price: 11 euro/adult, 5,5 euro/child (<14 yrs). There`s also a family ticket (max 2 adults and 3 children) for 30 euros. You can buy your tickets online or at the Historium.
- Check out there cool website for more information.
I got support from Bruges Tourism on this trip, but all opinions are my own.