We were handed a piece of paper warning us we could have a bit of a bumpy ride to our next destination, but we were told it would be worth it. So when a pickup pulled up, we just got in, no questions asked, but curious for our destination.
Tucked away in the Dana Biosphere Reserve, with its 308 square kilometers of land, making it the largest reserve in Jordan, you can find a haven of relaxation, Feynan Ecolodge.
The surroundings of the multicolored Shara Mountains in the East, dunes of Wadi Araba in the South and Wadi Feynan in the West are impressive. How can you not be with such amazing views?
The Feynan Ecolodge was constructed by architect Ammar Khammash and together with the Royal Society for the Conservation of Nature (RSCN), the Lodge is trying to help the community.
A few examples: the 26 staff members are from the local community. The drivers that pick you up to bring you to the Lodge are locals. The delicious bread is made by a family close to the Lodge and so much more…
The reason I called it a haven of relaxation before, is because you`re isolated from the world. No internet, limited cell phone reception and electricity (however you can recharge your equipment at the reception),… in these times of being online all the time a very strange concept but on the other hand the perfect place to unwind.
So what can you do?
- Read a book in one of the hammocks
- In the wintertime, grab a seat in front of the fireplace and get cozy
- Explore the amazing landscape on foot or mountain bike
- Take a guided walk with a local Bedouin showing you the mysteries of native life
- Go on a copper mine tour and learn how vast deposits of copper were discovered mined and processed thousands of years ago
- Partake in lighting the candles throughout the lodge
And my favorite: Stargazing on the rooftop
After night has fallen over the valley and quietness surrounds you, you can go up to the rooftop terrace for a magical experience, stargazing at the Milky Way in all its glory.
The rooms are very charming too! Well, everything is here, especially at night when the whole lodge is light up with candles.
Did you know?
- You can find clay jars filled with water in your room and when you`re eating. With using these jars they eliminate 10 000 plastic bottles.
- There are only vegetarian meals served, because there is not enough electricity and to replicate how people eat in the area.
- Solar power is used for electricity and water. heating
- Water is sourced from a natural, local spring in Wadi. Dana
I would have loved to have spent some more time here. There`s so much to see and explore in the Dana Biosphere Reserve. One more photo before you go of the sun setting in this beautiful setting. Definitely a place to break away from the world, if even for a moment…
Find out about other places to stay in Jordan
I was invited by the Jordan Tourism Board on this trip, however all opinions are my own. Special thanks to Nikon for letting me test the Nikon D7000 and the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VRII camera lens.
This looks amazing! And the thought of a “digital detox” sounds pretty good to me right now… I especially love the picture of the starlit skies… Thanks for sharing this!