PRACTICAL TRAVEL TIPS for Rome:
- Emergency calls: 112.
- Post offices: most of the bigger post offices in the center are open Monday through Friday from 8.30 AM to 6.30 AM (and some Saturday mornings from 8.30 AM to 1 PM); smaller offices are only open in the mornings.
- Stamps you can also find at the tobacconist.
- Currency is Euro. Banks are usually open Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 1.30 PM. In the afternoon, the opening hours change from bank to bank, some of them are open from 2.30 PM/3 PM to 4 PM/4.30 PM. Some banks are open non-stop from 8:30 AM to 4 PM and/or on Saturday mornings. For more information: money in Italy.
- A pharmacy (drugstore) you can identify by a red or green cross. Opening hours are usually from 9 AM to 1.30 PM and from 3.30 PM till 7.30 PM
Some pharmacies are also open on Saturday mornings.
During nightshifts a surcharge is applied to the medicines. There is a list posted outside each pharmacy with the name of the pharmacy in that area that’s on call.
- Shops are generally open from 9 AM to 1 PM and from 3.30 PM to 7.30 PM. Some shops in the center stay open all day from 10 AM to 7.30 PM. Not many shops are open on Sunday and also Monday morning a lot of them are closed.
- Trains in Italy.
- Embassy of the United States of America: via Vittorio Veneto 119/a (Tel. 06 46 741); website
- Visitor CenterVia Parigi 5 (Piazza della Repubblica) Rome
Opening hours: Mon – Sat 9 AM – 7 PM ; Closed on SundaysUS Visitors Office to the Vatican
Via dell’ Umiltá 30, 00187 Rome
Phone: + 39 06 690 011
Email: [email protected]
- In the USA
Italian Government Tourist Board
630 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1565; New York
Telephone: +1 212 245-4822
Email: [email protected]; website
- Common Italian Phrases to help you speak the language while on your trip.
Leave a Reply